The Ravelli APLT2 50″ aluminum travel tripod is a best-selling product at a very affordable price. The height is adjustable from a minimum of 16.5″ to a maximum of 50″. The mounting plate can be adjusted for landscape or portrait orientation. Pan and tilt motion is also possible. This is an extremely lightweight tripod, weighing only 1 pound. It is also inexpensive. While its uses might be limited in some respects it can nevertheless serve as a useful lightweight tripod under most circumstances. It comes with a carrying bag.
The aluminum legs and the hard plastic head are what you might expect for a tripod that retails for under $15. Small and light, this model extends to a full 50″, just the right height to accommodate most photographers. The maximum height attainable without extending the middle column is 45″. The 16″ minimum height will serve well when a desktop version is required. While lacking some of the refinements found in more expensive models, you can still switch between portrait to landscape orientations with ease. It features standard-size mounting threads.
Besides the extendable legs, each of which has three segments, there is also an adjustable center post. Each of the legs has a rubber foot to provide added stability. It is designed to support cameras weighing 5.5 pounds and under. It can support more weight but stability could become an issue.
- It weighs only 1 pound. It is so light in your backpack there is a danger you may think you have forgotten to bring it. The carrying bag is compact, and convenient.
- The maximum height of 50″ is sufficient for most purposes and the 16″ to 50″ range makes this a very versatile accessory.
- It is not intended for heavy-duty service but for occasional use, or light use it is a bargain. While it is a very basic unit, with no bells or whistles, it does the job it is intended to do and does it quite well.
- If the sales figures mean anything, this is a highly popular item. It is an ideal accessory for the ‘point-and-shoot” amateur photographer.
- It does not feature a quick-release mount. It is a very basic unit and you get what you pay for.
- It will not allow photographs to be taken straight up or straight down (although nearly so in both cases). The handle and lock screw locations and positions prevent this.
The APLT2 is a very lightweight and quite inexpensive photo accessory. Its features are quite basic, but most of the elements that occasional photographer will require are there. This product is not designed for extended heavy-duty use, nor for that matter is it designed to accommodate heavier cameras or camcorders. It is simple to use, and when used with care should be quite reliable. All in all, it is an excellent choice for the price.